3-28-13: I made it through my first week post chemo. Overall the first week went good. I was sore from the surgery but that was to be expected. The only side effects I saw the first week was some rosey cheeks and tiredness. My second round of chemo was just as uneventful. I was able to get my chemo administered from my new port. That was an interesting feeling to be poked in the chest for my IV but once they had me hooked up I didn't even notice it. The morning after chemo I experienced some tingling in my hands and feet which the doctor said was normal. I also had some rosey cheeks for a couple of days and couldn't sleep for the first several days after chemo. The doctor perscribed some sleeping pills for me and so far they have been helping.
Both my aunt and uncle have been tested for the BRCA 1 gene mutation and we are still waiting for their results. My aunt and grandparents were able to fill in my family tree at Mayo more when they were there last week. It is evident now that this genetic mutation came from my Great-Grandma Zepha's Helmich family. The other sides of that family have several cases of Ovarian and prostate cancer which are the other common strains from the BRCA 1 mutation. Ironically enough I am the first one to get breast cancer since my great-grandmother and her sister four generations ago. At least we know enough now to be proactive for generations to come.
2 comments:
Kristin--I just wanted to write and let you know that I've been thinking and praying for you. Stay strong! I just know that you are going to kick the crap out of this! If you ever need anything...please let me know!
Take care, Jess
I keep thinking of a song sung by Amy Grant as I pray for you through this time, Kristin. I'll send you the CD....the lyrics are...."lay down your burden...I will carry you....I will carry you, My Child, My Child. You are in His powerful, loving care every moment. Thank you for blogging. I love you!
Post a Comment